Friday nights are done best with homemade curry and your favourite people. Top it all off with a tipple then put your feet up, it’s been a long week and you’ve earned it!
As Perth’s range cooker experts, we are of course total foodies ourselves. We are always on the lookout for great new recipes to try, local restaurants and cafes to eat at and stores to buy ingredients from. We decided to team up with local Perth chef and rising UK cook personality Praveen Kumar to bring you a recipe for a homemade Friday night takeaway – unfortunately, we can’t provide the wine to go with it!
The Kodi Koora is a South Indian Chicken Curry, perfect for a romantic night in or a family meal on a Friday night (or probably, any night of the week!). Compliment it with some binge-worthy TV, a pair of slippers and maybe a dessert and you’ve got yourself the perfect cosy Friday night in.
Kodi Koora (Southern Indian Chicken Curry Recipe)
350g Chicken breast (2-inch cut)
100g Onion diced
75g Fresh tomatoes diced
20g Rapeseed Oil
50g Tamarind paste
5g Chili powder
2g Turmeric powder
5g Curry powder
5g Garam masala powder
10g Fresh garlic & ginger diced
50g Ginger & garlic paste
10g Cumin seeds
10g Coriander seeds
10g Mustard seeds
20g Coriander leaf fresh
10g Fresh Curry leaf
Salt to taste
- Marinate the chicken for 1 hour with 5g of oil, ginger & garlic paste, salt, curry powder, chilli powder, garam masala, salt & turmeric powder
- Heat your pan on a full flame and add 15g Oil and allow the oil to heat up for 5 seconds
- Fry the diced ginger and garlic for 5 seconds then add fresh curry leaf, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds for a further 5 seconds
- Add diced onion and cook for 5 minutes without a lid until the onions are golden brown
- Now add the diced tomatoes, give it a stir and cook for 5 minutes with the lid on
- Once the tomatoes are soft and juicy, add in the marinated chicken, water and cook for 15 minutes on a low heat
- Once the chicken is fully cooked add to your serving dish and garnish with some fresh coriander!
Praveen Kumar not only runs Tabla Indian Restaurant in Perth, he has his own cook school (Indian Cook School by Praveen Kumar) and a UK wide homeaway service (Authentic Indian Cuisine delivered to your door). A well-thought-out recipe by Kumar himself that is sure to bring you a brilliant Friday night that you’ll want to repeat time and time again.
Cook it all up on one of our gorgeous Range Cookers…well we couldn’t go the whole post without mentioning them? We absolutely love them! Make sure you make enough so you can have seconds after as well…
However you enjoy your Kodi Koora we hope it’s done with friends, family or loved ones relaxing and having a good time!
Send us your Friday night in pics on our social media channels below and use the hashtag #FridayNightPerth to join in the fun!